Beware! Here are 5 scary things for a Belle. Read at your own risk . . .
1. No! Not a bad hair day! Anything but that! And the hair was bad enough without the torture of having scotch tape ripped from our foreheads! The pain! The agony! The shame! When will the horror end? We just want big, pouffy, happy hair like all beautiful girls everywhere. Is that so much to ask? . . .danged bangs.
2. Bad manners scare the bejibbers out of us every time! If a beau fails to open a door, hold our chair, or speaks ill of his Mama, or if thank you notes aren’t written for the silver pickle fork you sent your third cousin-once removed for her third wedding gift, it can cause a girl to gasp in fright! People like this were raised by wolves. Hooowwwlll!!! Mercy daisy!
3. Dark meat in the chicken salad? Is she possessed? Does she think we have nerves of steel? Does she know this reflects poorly on the entire club? Where was she raised? Who are her people? The next thing we know, her head will start spinning around and she’ll tell us she didn’t use Dukes! This is a meal fit for Zombies. Slide the chester-drawers in front of the door and hide!
4. Gasp-ing-for-air. Can’t-catch-my-breath . . . tell me my eyes are playing tricks on me and she isn’t wearing white shoes to the Thanksgiving Cane-Grinding Gala. I’m dizzy . . . can’t-last-much-longer! Witches on brooms circling my head would be less traumatic. The White Shoes Rule is often confused with a White Shoes “Ghoul.” BOO Y’all!
5. ALL-OUT-SCREAM!!!! Her pearls broke and bounced every-which-way, cattywampus all over the floor! Hot tears burst from her eyes and her sweet little ole’ heart nearly beat out of her chest. It’s a horror like no other, as you watch, in slow motion, Grandmother’s precious milky white pearls — the same color as magnolias and creamy grits — go bouncing all over the floor.
Paralyzing panic over precious pearls!
Bless our little Southern hearts on spooky Halloween!
Leave a comment
Other Recent Posts
We enjoyed “Trunk or Treat” at our church last night here in Fairhope. The weather was a bit muggy for late October, but the trade-off for living in a beautiful tropical climate . . . is that it’s often tropical at the wrong times! One little snow queen, dressed in fur from Narnia, was exercising […]
We have such fabulously interesting people around town, so I thought I would start making some formal introductions so you can get to know these friends as well. Today, I’d like to introduce you to an outstanding teenager in Fairhope, Lacie Gilbert. I’ve known Lacie since she was a little girl, and she has grown […]
When I was a little girl in Pensacola, we didn’t go downtown very often. That’s mainly because there wasn’t much to see or do, and the few businesses that were open, were not the kind where you would take your little girl. Unless, of course, you wanted her to hang out with sailors. In the […]
After being soaked in humidity all summer, Gulf Coast residents like to make up for lost time with a full schedule of fall activities. Football games, festivals and walks along the bay fill our days . . . among other things. FEEF, Fairhope Educational Enrichment Foundation, sponsored the Alabama Shakespeare Festival’s touring production of “As […]
Anne Byrn. Does her name ring a bell? Where have I heard that before? Oh my gracious! She’s THE CAKE MIX DOCTOR!!! You know that like me, you’ve loved this cookbook for years! After I packed away, or gave away most of my cookbooks, because the ease of the internet kept recipes […]
Here’ s the latest article from my column, “Southern With A Gulf Coast View.” A Family Just Like Ours Is it really true that Steel Magnolias is celebrating its 25th anniversary? I’ve watched the ultimate Southern chick—flick about 4 times a year, so that equals to somewhere around 100 viewings, give or take a […]
It’s almost time for the Fairhope Film Festival, and the announcement of films is causing a stir around town, and you know, there’s nothing a small town loves more than a good stir. Let’s just say, there is definitely something for everyone, and the excitement level is running at an all-time high. Tickets are being […]
Ahhhh. I would always take a deep breath and relax just a little when I would drive past this perfect Fairhope cottage. Its inviting porch, green shuttered windows and big live oak in the front yard just called out, “Come sit a while” to me. And then, as it always seems to happen in […]
This is for my own Mother today – Happy Birthday! My amusing autumn afternoon began in downtown Fairhope, just before noon actually, strolling through some of my favorite stores. This hand towel is flying off the shelves at The Picture Show — the most fragrant and adorable gift shop on Fairhope Avenue. There are […]
I peruse the baking aisle like some ladies browse the shoe department. But this year, when I went to find the latest styles of candy pumpkins and leaves, I found something rather disturbing . . . Does this bother anyone else but me? Well then, how about this? Little meat cleavers in a […]