23 Southern Sayings

I’ve overheard all these Southern sayings during the past week either at:
 Church
  Latte Da Coffee Shop
 Bass Pro
 my house (or yours)

1.  Does this camo come in Pink?
2.  How’s your Mama and Daddy?
3.  My Daddy gave me these pearls when I was little.
4.  Don’t use the dark meat in your chicken salad.  They’ll discuss you.
5.  Save me some toilet paper rolls – I’ve gotta teach Sunday School this week.
6.  I’m fixin’ to make some sausage balls.
7.  I’m fixin’ my hair cause I’m fixin’ to go to Wednesday night dinner.
8.  The Piggly Wiggly deli fixes fried okra on Tuesdays.
9.  Take this iced tea out to Maw Maw on the front porch.
10. Can y’all monogram a dog collar?
11. How can I already be out of hairspray?
12. It’s in the top of the chester drawers.
13. I’m all stove up.
14. I left my casserole dish in the fellowship hall.
15. She didn’t even bother to put the KFC on her own plate.

16. Dig in your pocketbook and find me some change – I want to get a Co-Cola.
17. I’ve gotta stop at Greer’s and pick up juice for communion.
18. This humidity’s makin’ my hair flop over.
19. That is so tacky.
20. My nails are wet. I can’t even mash the buttons on my phone.
21. Dang it, I need new hot rollers.
22. It’s okay, Jesus drank wine.
23. Quick! Shoot it!

Have you recently said any of these things?

Well, perhaps it was you I overheard, bless your heart!

See these southern sayings and other great ideas on Coastal Charm, French Country Cottage, At The Picket Fence and Savvy Southern Style.

Comments

These made me laugh. I hear “fixin” and “mash” all the time. My husband (who’s a yankee, bless his heart) once said, “i”m stoved up!” At my confused expression, he explained he heard some old guy at the gym say it. Now we say it to each other (joking of course) all the time. Usually at the gym.

I had to pop back in and tell you I read this to CC and Joe and we had the best time laughing over it and ourselves. Because we say about half of the list between the three of us:}

3. Rachel says

I’m gonna fix me a glass of ice tea after reading this! It drives my Brooklyn-born husband (but converted Southerner) crazy when I say “fix me” whatever or “get me” whatever. And no matter how hard he tries to change me, “pin” sounds the same as “pen.”

LOL!! Oh you nailed us Southerners:) Love these and yes I have heard most of them also. I was waiting to read “Bless your heart” then I did:)

Spend several years in California and tried to educated the folks there about the niceties of Southern savings and speech. I do believe I had a few of my friends there saying “Bless her heart” by the time I moved. What fun!

Love this! As a northerner I don’t really hear these things very much, though we do say “It’s so tacky” – Don’s parents were from Texas and Oklahoma – His mom always said “Well, I’ll swan.” Have no idea what she meant by that!

Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up this week.

xo
    Claudia

• Anonymous says

When I read the book Paper Moon one of the characters used to say “I swan” and I finally came to the conclusion it was short for “I swear on…” (the bible, my mother’s grave, etc)

Thanks for visiting my blog!
    I’m your newest follower and will be back for more humor and all Southern stuff! LOL!
    I’m following your FB page, too. I’m fixin’ to tell everyone about you! Bless your heart, Helen :)

Oh my! Love this list!! Reminds me of home. I’ve always wondered what “stove up” means. Any clue? My favorite was the chicken salad warning ” they’ll discuss you.”

One more to add to your list… a young girl was listening to her mama talk on the phone one day and after she hung up, she asked her mama what a fize-u was. Her mama had no idea what she was talking about. So the little girl said, “well you told Aunt Margie that fize-u, I’d tell that busybody to keep her nose out of your business.” If I was you, I’d approve this comment.