Gulf Coast Snack Time

When Christmas blends straight into bowl games, then bumps right into Mardi Gras and Valentine’s Day . . . it’s no wonder we have to watch our weight!  Such good things to eat, everywhere you look.

So tell me, what is your favorite post- Christmas South Alabama snack?

King Cakes at Whole Foods?  Or do you prefer the authentic cakes from
Mobile or New Orleans bakeries?
Or do you prefer Moon Pies?  This basket at the Fairhope Greer’s was overflowing
with the Banana flavored treat.

Perhaps you favor Valentine cookies and chocolates.
Or are you the kind that is most happy with some Cajun Boiled Peanuts from a gas station in Foley?
(You can see I’ve already filled my cup.  I’m fearless and wild that way.)
The duct taped electrical cord lent to the overall atmosphere of charm and elegance.
But stay away from the pickled eggs . . . and I’m not even sure what that is in the middle jar.
So, what is your winter snack of choice this weekend?

Comments

1. Rachel says

Anything chocolate, but boiled peanuts aren’t far behind…except they’re so much tastier if the peanuts are green vs. dried. I grew up in NC, so Mardi Gras wasn’t a big celebration there. When do people eat the King’s Cake?

Up here in North Alabama, this weekend it will be herbed goat cheese spread. If I were there (and I wish I was), it would be crawfish! We love boiled peanuts, but prefer them later in the summer straight out of the south Alabama peanut fields. Yum!

Hi, I smiled to see you on Brenda’s Welcome Wagon Friday post today because I had the pleasure of finding you a couple of weeks ago and was charmed by your blog.

I have never had a King Cake. I wonder if our Whole Foods in Nashville sells them? They look good.

Keep up the very interesting posts!
    Dewena

Used to eat Moonpies, don’t like boiled peanuts, never had a King Cake, but boy I can eat boxes of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies! I have got to find the recipe and bake them myself!

As a northerner, I’m unfamiliar with most of these – thought I sure have had moon pies and love them. What is King Cake – to do with Mardi Gras?

Thanks so much for joining in this week!

xo
    Claudia

Oh my gosh, native So. Californian here and I’ve never eaten any of those. I’ve heard of Moon Pies and King cake (is it the one with the charm inside?) and boiled peanuts but never had any (or even seen any). I really enjoy your posts about the south, so much fun.

Happy week to you!