Weekend Photos – Camellia Show

Camellia season is upon us, and Fairhope, like other Southern towns,
is covered with the beautiful flowers.
Among the older sections of town, there’s hardly a yard without a Camellia bush.
Some are huge and very old.
In 1959, the Alabama state legislature changed the state flower from Golden Rod to the Camellia. I think Golden Rod is pretty, but isn’t it considered a weed?  I vote for Camellia.
Here are some old Camellia Yearbooks I picked up several years ago at an estate in Mobile.  Most photos are in black and white, with a few of the old hand tinted drawings included.

It may be difficult to see, but this photo is from the 1950 Camellia Yearbook and was referred to as the “Hoffmeyer Pink,” named for the family that owned this house in Darlington County, South Carolina.  The Camellia at the end of the porch was of an unknown variety and
measured 29 feet tall with a limb spread of 30 feet.
I think we are a generation of overzealous pruners.
(Don’t get me started on Crepe Myrtles).
The Camellia Show is in Mobile this weekend.  2,000 to 3,000 Camellias will
be on display at Bel Air Mall. The show is free, and is open
Saturday 2-7pm and Sunday Noon – 4pm.
Enjoy the cold weather. The Camellias certainly will.

What’s growing in your yard?

Comments

Hehehe! Nothing is growing at all. Everything is coverd with snow and it’s freezing. I posted a picture on my blog today. I’m not able to think of anything growing right now. ;-) Beautiful photographs.

I use to have a camelia tree growing in my yard at my old house. It was nowhere near as big as the tree in that picture and it rarely got pruned. The crepe myrtles on the other hand, got pruned (not every year though) because they got out of control.

I have four camellias. My large pink one is about to be bursting with blooms. The others we planted last year and have only a few blooms. You don’t commit crepe murder?

4. Rachel says

Nothing says Southern wintertime like camellia bushes.

I want the Hoffmeyer camellia AND the house! Love that photo. Here in Marietta, GA, my camellias have been blooming since around Christmas. It’s the earliest ever, but I fear tonight’s sub-freezing temps will zap them. Both mine are white, but I received a new either pink or red as a Christmas gift, so am excitedly waiting to see the buds unfold.

5. Elizabeth says

Hi Kristy, Southern Living calls it “crepe murder!” Would anyone ever think of pruning oaks or pines or any other trees? Pruning crepe myrtles is a fad started in the past 20 years or so and is my pet peeve. If the plant is too large, replace it, but please don’t whack the crepe myrtles. Those knobby knees and elbows that are left look hideous.

Nothing growing now in my yard! I would love camellias this beautiful, who wouldn’t. My mother-in-law has lovely camellias growing. Yes, I think Golden Rod is a weed. I’m sure the Camellia show will be a lovely place to visit this weekend.

~Emily
    The French Hutch

There used to be a camellia show in my hometown, and we had camellias in the yard. I miss having a camellia bush! BUT, I still prefer the native goldenrod for our state flower. I guess all wildflowers are considered weeds!

Thanks for a breath of spring air to chill my freezing bones here in Idaho! You are making me miss Texas so much right now I am headed for Realtor.com to look for a house back in the Lone Star State!!

Big Hugs,