Halfway Down

where
I always
stop.
Halfway up the stairs
Isn’t up
And it isn’t down.
It isn’t in the nursery,
It isn’t in town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head.
It isn’t really
Anywhere!
It’s somewhere else
Instead!
Do you have a favorite stair where you sit and think?
Poem by: A.A. Milne author of Winnie The Pooh
All photos from: Persephone’s Box

Comments

1. Patsy says

Up until now I did not have a favorite step to sit on but your enchanting photos make me want to find one. I don’t believe I have ever read that poem either. Thanks for sharing.

What magnificent stair cases!! I love the one painted with the of the classic book spines. Very cool post with the poem,,,thank you for sharing!
    XO Barbara

In my last home, I often sat on the third stair from the bottom, and looked out the front door, opened mail, sipped a cup of coffee, dreaming about my day, or talking to my mom. It was one of my most favorite places in my home.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

4. Rachel says

The staircases alone would be enough for me to choose any of these houses! Gorgeous pictures and love the poem. One of my favorite staircases is in an antebellum house in Natchez, Mississippi called Auburn. It’s a free-standing staircase. You start at the bottom, walk upstairs and then back down and the handrail is one continuous curve of polished wood.

Wow, these are amazing architectural staircases. I love the staircase that looks like books, very creative. I am currently looking for a house and stairs are a must for me (I think because I grew up in a rancher my whole life) and I am going to have to steal that idea and use all my favorite books. Thanks so much for sharing!

LOL-Nope-but we have a naughty step. Fourth one from the bottom…just far enough that you can see them and far enough that they can’t be in on what is going on. Works for me! xo Diana

What incredible stairways! I don’t have a favorite step to sit upon, but I do have a favorite step to sit things upon.,,third step from the bottom.

I love this A.A. Milne poem.

8. Anonymous says

Still “stairing” agape at your beautiful stair story. That you paired these with the A.A. Milne poem is sheer genius…